Date: 10/6/17 1:19 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Finally Migrating Ducks At Gillson Park Lake Watch #7 Friday 10-6-17
Hello Bird People,

Another east wind day at Gillson Park where I was joined by Jeff
Sanders & we actually had duck flocks heading south in numbers for the
1st time this Fall. This was Lake Watch #7 for the Fall & the 1st one
in October. Only had 12 species for the a.m. & of them only 3
qualified as interesting.
Here's our list:

Gillson Park Lake Watch #7 (7:45-10:15 a.m.) (No rain while we were there)

D.C. Cormorant (6 flying by & 1 in the lake)
Canada Goose (a flock of 10 flying north)
Mallard (1 flock of 18 flying south)
American Wigeon (2 flocks of 10 flying south)
Blue Winged Teal (2 flying with a male Redhead & a flock of 22 all going south)
Redhead (1-M with Teal & a flock of 12 flying south)
SURF SCOTER (6-F/IM flying south very close to shore at exactly 9:30 a.m.)
Ring Billed Gull (96 with most on the beach)
Herring Gull (~25 with most flying over the water)
BONAPARTE'S GULL (flocks of 3 & 2 flying south & Jeff saw another individual)
Crows (the usual 4 on the beach with the Ring Bills)
Finally, we were visited by the almost regular PEREGRINE going south this time.

It is interesting to note that almost every year I see Scoters among
the earliest migrant ducks
so today's Surf Scoter flock was not a big surprise.

Made a quick stop at Skokie Lagoons in from Willow Rd but we saw few
land birds & the visit was cut short by incoming rain. Of some
interest were 9 Cormorants in tall trees & 1 flying Kingfisher.

We had been debating if the Peregrine or the Bonaparte's Gulls should
be the day's top bird when the Scoter flock flew by ending that
debate.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the 6 close to shore Surf Scoters &
Runners-Up to the Peregrine & the Bonaparte's Gulls.

I will mention that on yesterday's 88 mile drive to DuPage & Kane Co's
the baby Prius C managed to get 71.4 MPG which is a new record for
that little car. Normal MPG is usually about 60 in warmer weather &
low 50's in the Winter. But that's on trips over 30 miles.

Al Stokie
Finally seeing migrant ducks in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: