Date: 10/6/17 12:10 pm
From: Josh Adams <xjoshx...>
Subject: RE: [Tweeters] Early Pine Siskins
Hello Tweets,
I noticed what I perceived as a larger number of Pine Siskins than
usual in September. Mostly one or two birds flying over. I checked
eBird maps and noticed a lot of other September sightings compared to
other years. This, however, can be misleading since eBird
participation has seemed to increase over time (I just ran the
numbers, and the number of complete checklists have roughly doubled
between 2012 and 2016 in Washington).

After reading this thread I looked a little closer at my own sightings
a little closer. Years where I've seen good number of lowland Pine
Siskins in the fall have been followed by winters with irruptions of
Common Redpoll's in the Puget Sound basin. I'm crossing my fingers
that perhaps that will continue this year.

Josh Adams
Cathcart, WA