Date: 10/5/17 8:44 pm
From: Wes Fritz <wes-fritz...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Santa Maria
SB Birders,

I started birding at Los Alamos Park this morning and saw nothing of note. I moved over to Waller Park and saw one Varied Thrush by the ranger's Cabin. The back pond had the returning male Wood Duck and he is quite friendly. If you want some close up photos of a awesome looking drake, this is your dude. The front pond had a hatch year N. Pintail and the resident Cackling Goose is still present. Just west of the duck pond was a Red-breasted Sapsucker. My next stop was Jack O'Connell Park, no Golden Plovers, but I did see 32 White-faced Ibis flying over the agricultural fields. I went out to the SMRE for a short sea watch, but ended up talking with Melissa and see said that whales and birds have been hanging out there for a couple weeks.
My last stop was the Santa Maria Sewage ponds here I saw 10 Greater White-fronted Geese, 53 Dowitchers, one Red-necked Phalarope, one Dunlin, one Baird's Sandpiper, 9 Pectoral Sandpipers. I did not count the Yellowlegs today, they were moving around too much, between the Greater and Lesser there were about 80 Yellowlegs combined.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
<wes-fritz...>
Solvang CA