Date: 10/5/17 8:37 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Wood Dale Reservoir. Fermi Lab & James O. Breen Park Thursday 10-5-17
Hello Bird People,

Looked like a good day for shorebirds considering that both Fermi &
Breen Park had been hosting large numbers of species & individuals
lately. But for a longer than usual day all I found were 2 shorebird
species! The last 2 visits to J.O. Breen Park had 79 & 86 individual
shorebirds but today it was 5 individuals of 2 species. Turns out I
had 1 more goose species than shorebird species something I never
would have expected. But birding often results in the unexpected &
that's 1 reason we do it. Because it was a long day & this report is
late I'll limit it's size by leaving out most of the land birds.

Wood Dale Reservoir (7:15-9 a.m.)

The only place with mud flats continues to be the actual reservoir
with all other sections flooded.

Reservoir Proper

Great Blue Heron (1) & Canada Goose (~400 at 7:15 but all gone by 8 a.m.)
Wood Duck (1-F), Mallard (9), Shoveler (1-F) plus both Blue Winged (2)
& Green Winged (2) Teal
Coot (1), Killdeer (38) & Ring Billed Gull (6)

Middle Pond

D.C. Cormorant (2)
Great Blues (3) & Great Egret (1)
Mallard (3)

Other birds of interest were Kingfisher (1), Catbird (1) & Cedar Waxwing (6-7).
Warblers were only Myrtles & Palms & Sparrows were Song, Swamp & White Crowned.
We are that time of the year when the Red Winged Blackbirds & Song
Sparrows have decided it is once again time to start singing. (For the
best bird here today check Bird-Of-The-Day below.)

Fermi Lab (10 a.m.-noon)

Lake Law

D.C. Cormorant (107), Great Blues (2) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (13) & WHITE FRONTED GOOSE (6 landed right in front of me
while calling)
Green Winged Teal (4)
Killdeer (29) & Pectoral Sandpiper (4)
Ring Billed Gull (8)
Walking on the mud were 2 PIPITS & flying over the water were 2 Barn Swallows

A.E. Sea

Water still high but some mud edges have formed.

This was Heron/Egret heaven with Great Blues (14) & Great Egrets (46)
covering the water area
Again the only shorebirds were Killdeer (15) & Pectorals (22)
Also 2 P.B. Grebes & a few more Cormorants & R.B. Gulls

Sea Of Evanescence (I hope that's the way to spell it!)

Had lots of geese & ducks but with the sunlight in my face I could not
deal with the Mallards, Wood Ducks, Shovelers & Teal & who knows what
else?

James O. Breen Community Park (1-1:25 p.m.)

Who would have thought the only shorebirds here would be Killdeer (3)
& Pectorals (2)?
Also here were Great Blue Heron (2), Mallard (4) & Shoveler (1-PR)
But sneaking around among the 86 Canada Geese were 2 tiny CACKLING
GEESE with the small bills we are supposed to check for. I checked!
One Red Tailed Hawk flew overhead & one Eastern Meadowlark also
decided to sing in October.

As I started my walk around the Wood Dale Reservoir I noticed a dark
bird fly into a tall conifer tree. Put the scope on it & I saw it was
after seeds in the cones. Holy pine cones, maybe a Crossbill? Well no,
but it proved to be a female PURPLE FINCH which will be today's
Bird-Of-The-Day in spite of not being the hoped for winter finch.
Runners-Up to the 6 calling WHITE FRONTED GEESE which are always nice
to see & hear.
Honorable Mention to the 2 tiny Cackling Geese.

Al Stokie
In DuPage & Kane Co's today wondering where the shorebirds went?
(Probably south I guess)

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional