Date: 10/5/17 5:08 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (05 Oct 2017) 10 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 150 11572

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Spease, Evelyn Fowles, Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Evelyn Fowles, Mike Fowles, Kathleen Pileggi, Rick Steele,
June Steele, Carol Spease.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 24,500 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 64 - 81F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (50) and
Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Intimate Brew”---

TLC’s Stacey emailed a report (with a picture) of 5 Wild Turkeys in Chadds
Ford from yesterday (SG). Nice Stacey!

On the way in this morning, I went to Wawa for my Cinnamon-Raisin Bagle and
an early “coffee run.” Wawa had $1 coffees still. Any size! And my 34
ounce mug would do nicely there under those conditions. While my bagel
(with berry cream cheese) was being prepared, I went for the coffee,
constantly doing my people watching. I love doing that. You? There were
easily a dozen people studiously preparing their special concoctions in the
massive “coffee arena” - each reaching for their SPECIFIC ingredients.
Exactly when did coffee become so exotic? So difficult? My friend Grier,
used to just take some dry freeze-dried crystals out of a jar – unmeasured
– pour some boiling water in it and instantly start to drink. Grier would
be totally lost in today’s marketplace. There were 14 huge carafes of an
enormous variety of flavors. Why 14? Would 15 be too ostentatious? 13
too understated? 7 ways to cream your coffee existed; while there were 8
ways to sweeten it. Everyone was crafting their own intimate brew…guarding
the recipe as if Martha Stewart was taking notes. Watching this all
unfold, I was suddenly stricken with this feeling of inadequacy. I felt a
bit undereducated to complete my cup of brew. I wasn’t feeling quite
adventurous enough. Oh, the choices to be made! What I made may not be
right, but it was all mine…

My unique java in hand, I made it to the Watch, soon to be joined by Evelyn
& Mike. They were here early enjoying this fine weather and sharing
stories from the field. Evelyn & Mike did not come empty-handed, either.
They were with gifts - chocolate gifts, and those are always welcome! We
at Bucktoe, truly enjoy those guests bearing chocolates! On a somewhat
different note (and an ever so poor Segway), a Garter Snake was a nice find
by Evelyn. Our White-crowned Sparrows, including one adult, did not
disappoint Evelyn & Mike, nor did two Savannah Sparrows. Even the
Lincoln’s Sparrow came in!

We heard, and Ian simultaneously called with news of, a Raven coming over.
That brought my alarm whistle into service - to notify Evelyn & Mike who
were on a walk around the meadow, that there was something immediate to
look for. It worked!! They heard & got the Raven.

Carol came fresh from banding with Ian and an encounter with “our Raven.”
It was a magnificent sky today - which could only have been enhanced had
there been more hawks in it. We saw very few today. That means more for
the days yet to come, right?

As I write this, our Cottontail has wandered in to the feed area and
sauntered up to “Bucktoe Basin.”
Placing its front feet up on our water feature, he lifted up a hare (sorry,
a personal favorite) and sipped from our fabulous water feature.

And remember, folks…gifts of chocolate encouraged!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-COMMON RAVEN, 2-Palm Warbler, 2-Savannah Sparrow, 1-Lincoln's Sparrow,
1-Swamp Sparrow, 4-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 15, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary, Wild
Indigo Duskywing. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags.
Reptiles & Amphibians (1): Garter Snake. Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.77; Steps: 13,541; Floors:
22.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 121
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it could be ok with a good crop of clouds,
light winds and rain should be over.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: