Date: 10/5/17 7:45 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: CROSSBILL TRIP Saturday October 7, 2017
This Saturday, October 7, several of us are headed to the Shores Lake-Ozark National Forest area to look for Red Crossbills. We should be there around 10:30 or so. We found crossbills in the area on September 15. This is along highway 215, on the ridge right before the left turn down to Shores Lake. If you come up 215 from I-40, you will probably see us along the highway. If not, we will also be checking pine stands along county road 75 which goes to Shores Lake.

There is no way to guarantee anyone will see or hear crossbills. These are small birds, atop tall pines, and the Shortleaf Pine forest in this area is extensive. Still, we have had pretty good luck in the past. It is an interesting place to visit, even without crossbills. If we find crossbills, we will be trying for audio recordings, but this won’t interfere with folks trying to see birds or take photographs.

Join us on Facebook!