Date: 10/5/17 6:30 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Nelson's Sparrows at Swan Creek
Full list with photos: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39562279

There were several other highlights in addition to the Nelson's Sparrows. The number of dabbling ducks is probably the highest I've ever seen. I counted 924 Northern Shovelers and 1277 Green-winged Teal - incredible. Ruddy Ducks are increasing (I counted 156) and I had my FOS American Coots (3) in the dredge cells as well.

Shorebirds included 46 Black-bellied Plovers (high), 7 American Golden-Plovers (high), 2 White-rumped Sandpipers, 1 Dunlin, and 2 American Avocets among some more expected species.

The wetlands also held 5 Virginia Rails, 1 Sora, 2 Marsh Wrens, and 1 Lincoln's Sparrow. An adult male Northern Harrier flew over later in the morning.

The woods were quiet but other observers reported some nice warblers throughout the day on Tuesday and yesterday as well (Black-and-white, Nashville, Parula, etc., none of which were seen by me during the census).

Offshore, I counted 10 Forster's Terns on the pilings.

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD