Date: 10/5/17 4:12 am
From: <susan...>
Subject: RE: R-T Hummingbirds
Dear Frank and All,

Hummer density in the late season is quite variable in the Carolinas.
Birds are still coming through. I had none for several days but
yesterday there were at least two here (battling fiercely over flowers
and feeders. But I suspect the next front that passes through (next
week) will hurry most on their way southward for the season.

As for storm effects, although there was likely some mortality along the
coast, these little birds are quite capable of hunkering down and
surviving stormy weather. They sense the approach and will seek out
sheltered locations to ride out wind and rain.

However we are eagerly anticipating the first winter hummingbird
reports. Western individuals will be arriving any day!

Susan Campbell
Southern Pines, NC

Join us on Facebook!