Date: 10/5/17 12:21 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Oct 2017) 25 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 25 140 11562

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Howard Campbell, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Howard Campbell, Stacey Gummey (and Amanda from TLC), Lea
Gummey, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Fog, then Sun (5-0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 2-10
miles, Temps 56 - 74F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (70) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-3; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-1; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“34 Ounces of Coffee. A Sip More and I Could Be In
Danger of Waking Up!”---
At the Watch this morning, I spent the first 20 minutes looking for my
binoculars. Hmmm….not on my van’s dashboard as they often are. Not on the
empty passenger seat. Not in that dark, scary, hopeless area between the
seats. Not even on my vest. Had I forgotten them at home? I don’t think
I took them inside - it had been dark when I got home last night. Time
passed as I continued the search…

Ahh … geeze …they were around my neck! Does this ever happen to any of
you? Just me, isn’t it? Terrific!! Come on now – it had only taken me 20
minutes! I think that’s pretty good. Be easy on me!! I guess my 34
ounces of coffee hadn’t kicked in yet. Yah, I’ll go with that as my
“reason.”

Maybe expresso is my next move. What do you think?

I had to go back to the main parking lot for something. On the way, there
were lots of birds on the ground and in the low thickets on the driveway.
That bodes well for the day, I thought. Indigo Buntings, Waxwings,
Yellowthroats, a variety of Sparrows all seen from my attentive driver’s
seat. Now, where did I put my binoculars??? They were just here a moment
ago. They weren’t in the spare seat…not on the dash, as they often are….

Howard arrived…NOW, having missed about 11,000 Broad-winged Hawks over the
past 2 weeks, while living a scant two miles away. You’ve given up all
rights to complain about not seeing anything, Howard – FOREVER!! Finding a
Cooper’s Hawk, Howard wanted full-partial credit. Yah, for THAT! Come on
Howard! You can do better than that! Next, Howard finds an immature Bald
Eagle. OK, Howard… there’s your “full-partial credit!”

Several folks from TLC arrived – Lea, newcomer Amanda, & Stacey - with
Stacey threatening to bring a group of kids…. Go ahead Stacey, I’m up for
the challenge! Meanwhile, Howard kept finding Eagles – a few within a
group of 25 Black Vultures gazing longingly upon our empty carrion feeder.

“Hey Howard, shall I brew us a cup of my field coffee?” I offered.
“No thanks,” replied Howard. “I’ve had your coffee before.”
“Ouch, Buddy… good thing I’m not sensitive!” Undeterred, I prepared
tomorrow’s brewing session.
Howard loves his eagles… with a standing rule of not leaving the Watch
without seeing at least one. It’s a rule he has been forced to violate on
occasion, but not this day. We had 10 of them by the time he left at 1pm,
taking our clouds with him.

“Howard, let’s celebrate with a cup of coffee…. I’ve got another 34-ounce
cup around here somewhere! Howard! Howard!!”
Howard scurried off…

After the Watch concluded, we stopped at Longwood Gardens for a walk on the
way back from scouting for our upcoming Brandywine Ace Hardware event,
seeing Ring-necked Duck & Green-winged Teal. As darkness enveloped us,
there was an incredible nearly full moon visible on a walk at Unionville
Community Park. Did you enjoy it?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Savannah Sparrow, 3-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 22, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies
(3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Wandering Glider. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.41; Steps: 19,720; Floors:
48.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 121
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it will go on through cloudier conditions, but
warm with light winds from the southwest.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek