Date: 10/4/17 11:08 pm
From: <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sea- and sky-watches, 10/4/17
This morning I conducted a 2-hour sea watch at the south end of the Great Highway, with S-SW winds, flat seas, and excellent visibility. Despite such good conditions, the sea watch results were moderate at best .
Observations of local interest:
Surf Scoter 16
W. Grebe 60+
Eared Grebe 1 (on the ocean)
Common Loon 9
Pacific Loon 7
Red-thr. Loon 31
Snowy Egret 1 (flying S over ocean)
Sanderling 600+
Elegant Tern 30+
PARASITIC JAEGER 3 ad. (including 1 dark-morph)
Common Murre 13
Also: Harbor Porpoise 2

Early this afternoon I again did some sky-watching from my deck looking out to the E and S over Cole Valley. At 1:10 PM I was surprised to observe a PRAIRIE FALCON circling very high up over Cole Valley, before getting moved along by a Raven -- pale white underparts with contrasting dark axillaries. During a productive hour, other species observed included 1 each of Cooper's Hawk, Osprey, American Kestrel, and Peregrine Falcon, and a mini-flock of 5 Turkey Vultures, as well as a flock of 40+ Band-tailed Pigeons and a single Vaux's Swift.

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco

Join us on Facebook!