Date: 10/4/17 10:20 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...>
Subject: Quivira and Cheyenne Bottoms
Anna and I just finished 4 partial days between Quivira and Cheyenne
Bottoms. There were times I thought we were in Florida. Despite the
incredible winds of Sunday and Monday we saw some good birds. Much nicer
weather Tuesday and even better today.

Reddish Egret--We missed the bird Sunday and Monday. But today it was on
the west side of the road about 5:30 ringed by a good number of Snowy
Egrets and some Cattle Egrets.

Incredible numbers of American Avocets which were virtually fearless and
provided some really interesting entertainment as they sometime swirled
around like Northern Shovelers and sometime walking and feeding in sync
with birds on each side of them.

Snowy Plover, Black-crowned Night-Herons, and Sanderlings make a showing
today. Dowitchers were everywhere in very large numbers.

Greater White-fronted Goose were seen in three locations. About a dozen
yellow-headed Blackbirds showed up over the four trips.

Few sparrow species except for numerous Savannah. Add 40 species to our
Kansas list so really a fun time.

Need to come back and spend some time here during shorebird and waterfowl
migration.

What a great state to bird in and we certainly will have to come back and
do some further adventures here.

God Bless,

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*