Date: 10/4/17 7:48 pm
From: douglas stotz <dfstotz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Dixon Waterfowl Refuge and vicinity, 3 October
Yesterday, I went to Dixon Waterfowl Refuge at Hennepn-Hopper Lakes.
I also did some birding in northern Marshall Co. At Dixon, I had 66
species, a bit low for early October. Water levels have dropped with the
lack of rain. I had 7 species of sandpipers led by 3 White-rumped, 2 Stilt
Sandpipers and 12 Long-billed Dowitchers. Diving ducks have not arrived at
all, and sparrow numbers were unimpressive. I had 9 species of ducks led
by 850 No. Shovelers and 750 Pintail. My estimate of coots was a meager
9400. I counted 122 Pied-billed Grebes, which seems like a good number.
Landbirds were a struggle with it warm and windy. There were few sparrows,
and nearly all the warblers were Yellow-rumped and Palms, but did have a
late Golden-winged.
In Marshall Co, I birded Sandy Creek east of Rte 26. Fair number of
species but nothing unexpected; only 3 species of warblers and 5 species of
sparrows. Billsbach Lake is a backwater lake west of Rte 26 ca 2 miles
south of Rte 18.; most of the birds were opposite McKean Pallet Co. You
can either peer through the vegetation or bushwhack down to the edge of the
lake. There is a clear opening at the north end of the lake, but few birds
there, I had some shorebirds, which included 17 American Golden-Plovers and
10 Dunlin, as well as a couple of hundred dabbling ducks, mostly Shovelers.

Doug Stotz

--
Douglas Stotz
Conservation Ecologist/Ornithologist