Date: 10/4/17 7:00 pm
From: Rebecca Coulter <rfcphoebe...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] More on Magnolia Warbler at SBMNH
This afternoon around 3:00, I did a little birding around the upper bridge over Mission Creek on the Museum property. Looking up creek—the same location where I saw the Blue-headed Vireo—there were a few birds bathing. One of them was a warbler with a grayish head, eye ring, and very yellow underparts. It moved around a lot, in and out of the tangle just above the bridge on the north side of the creek. I was eventually able to see the white under tail coverts before it took off upstream. I puzzled on it for a bit, thought about Nashville, consulted Dunn and Garrett, and finally came up with a first year Magnolia. Around 5:00, I returned to the location, played a snippet of the Magnolia call note, and the bird appeared again at the creek's edge. This time I was able to get a really good look at the white eye ring, gray upper parts, fairly bright yellow throat and breast, pale wing bars, and the distinctive white spots on the mid-tail, which were very visible when it flared and flashed its tail as it moved around. The streaking on the flanks was not prominent—something I normally think of for Magnolia—but on the second viewing I was able to see that they were certainly there, dusky gray instead of black.

For those wanting to see the bird during Museum hours (10-5), please remember to check in at the front office before entering the property, and that there is quite a lot of loud renovation work being done in the bridge area as the roof tiles are removed from the building.

Rebecca Coulter
Santa Barbara

------------------------------------
Posted by: Rebecca Coulter <rfcphoebe...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)