Date: 10/4/17 3:05 pm
From: Joan Lentz <joanlentz...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] End of Coronado/Newport Dr. this a.m.
Hi All: Just reporting after a bird class where we saw lots of birds, but nothing special. We walked over the hill toward the Monarch Preserve from Coronado, then went northwest to Newport Dr. NO waterthrush present at the puddle (getting smaller by the minute) there. We had a good sprinkling of western migrants such as Yellow Warblers, Willow Flycatcher (2), and several Western Tanagers. Again, a White-tailed Kite was perched briefly high in the eucalyptus south of the Newport bridge.
We walked back towards the place where the trail heads off to the “hummingbird feeder house”. We met the owner of the house, Gil, who seemed very nice and welcoming to birders. We didn’t stop for long though, mostly Anna’s there. One of my students may have photographed a White-throated Sparrow in this yard, but I need to see the photos more closely.
At the seep and in the vicinity, activity was pretty slow. I was shocked at-- despite Mark Holmgren’s efforts at filling the puddle the night before— that the amount of water for the birds is greatly reduced. They still come in, but it’s difficult to see well with a group. The only “new” bird was a female type BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, first spotted by one of the students and identified by Libby Patten. We did walk east as far as the second manhole, so to the “cuckoo spot”, where there were a few migrants but again, nothing unusual. We ran into Adrian and Ken and they told us they’d seen a Chestnut-sided Warbler at the end of Ellwood Beach Drive high in the eucs. We didn’t pursue it.
Keep on birding! It’s at the “end” of fall migration when the goodies turn up!

Joan Lentz

------------------------------------
Posted by: Joan Lentz <joanlentz...>

<*> Your email settings: