Date: 10/4/17 3:03 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Odds & Ends (NO Bell's Vireo, but Dickcissels, Clay-colored Sparrows, OC Warblers and Caspian Terns)
A hot summer day today for October with temperatures topping off at 81.
Even at the coast!  Jane and I started this morning searching the Birch
Street Gardens in Concord with a few other folks for the Bell's Vireo
last reported on Monday by Becky.  We had no luck and it sounds like
there haven't been any further sightings since Monday.  Otherwise, the
gardens were birdy, but nothing unusual.

We then decided to head east toward the coast.  Stopping at a few
locations.  Had the following:

Dickcissel - 2 with one on River Road in Stratham (no Lark Sparrow).
Another at the Great Bay Farm in Greenland.
Clay-colored Sparrow - 2 together on fence at Great Bay Farm in
Greenland.  Good fall so far for Clay-coloreds!
Orange-crowned Warbler - 2 together along the Boy Scout Trail at Odiorne
with a few other warbles.
Caspian Tern - 2 sitting on flats at Hampton Harbor.

Also some butterflies of note:

Common Buckeye - 1 at Birch Street Gardens in Concord.  Relatively far
north for this species?
Fiery Skipper - 2 at Odiorne Point State Park in Rye.  I hadn't seen any
Fiery Skippers this summer/fall and now today I get 2!  My first in a
few years in NH.
Painted Lady - 45 (!) at Odiorne and more at other locations.  Only one
American Lady.  A big fall for this species.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA