Date: 10/4/17 2:23 pm
From: Elliot Mednick <elliot...>
Subject: RE: [NHBirds] Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (03 Oct 2017) 55 Raptors
I don’t know if this link will work for everyone, but flightradar24 does show a Google Balloon (“Project Loon”) floating over NH yesterday at about 55,000 feet. I thought it would be too far away to see. Now I’m sorry I missed it.

https://www.flightradar24.com/2017-10-03/19:39/72x/HBAL026/f120725

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/keep-your-eye-on-the-hbal-tracking-project-loon-balloons/

--Elliot

Salem, NH

It could also be the Google Balloon.
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 9:35:51 AM UTC-4, Iain Macleod wrote:

I watched the object for more than an hour through my scope and took photos. It was drifting but very slowly. Based on my research it matched perfectly a super pressure balloon used by NASA for various research projects. Balloons like these are the size of football stadium and cruise above 100,000 feet.

Based on the sightings, it was visible from anywhere in NH.

Pretty cool!

Iain MacLeod
Ashland

On Oct 4, 2017 7:35 AM, "Daniel M. Keefe" <daniel......> <javascript:> > wrote:

I'd be really curious if anyone hears more about the white object sighted. Had a similar white circle high up here in Durham for several hours, very slow moving, not apparently drifting. I thought maybe a weather balloon, but even with nikons very hard to id.

Dan