Date: 10/4/17 1:42 pm
From: <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Ferruginous Hawk
A flyover FERRUGINOUS HAWK was the best bird on a birdy morning at Fort Mason, with warm temperatures and little wind. Nothing else was rare, but the whole area was active. I had two VARIED THRUSHES out in the open - one foraging on the lower Battery, and the other behind the General's House. There were at least three HERMIT THRUSHES. Singing GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS were everywhere - I counted at least 10 (and many of those were singing). There were two WESTERN WOOD-PEWEES in the Battery. A RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER was working the trees in the Battery, and another was above Aquatic Park. Other migrants included 5+ WESTERN TANAGERS, a WARBLING VIREO, a PACIFIC SLOPE FLYCATCHER and 4 YELLOW WARBLERS. There were at least 35 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, along with 4 or more TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS. At least two RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES were in the Battery. A WANDERING TATTLER and six BLACK TURNSTONES were on the abandoned pier.

Join us on Facebook!