Date: 10/4/17 1:22 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Techny Basin (South) & Techny North Of Willow Wed 10-4-17
Hello Bird People,

Delayed by the rain & a trip to get my annual blood test I did not get
going on birding until much later than usual. Since it was a late
start I stayed close to home.

Techny Basin South (11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)

Seems that the Rusty Blackbirds reported recently by Suzanne C at
Techny North decided to visit Techny South today or at least some of
them did. That was my only highlight of the day.

D.C. Cormorant (3 in the actual basin)
Great Blue Heron (4) & Great Egret (3)
Mallard (33) & Blue Winged Teal (6)
Killdeer (4) & a somewhat late Spotted Sandpiper (1 bobbing along the shore)
Ring Billed Gull (1 fly-by)
Hairy Woodpecker (1)
Robins (~14)
Palm (3) & Yellow Rumped Myrtle (5) Warblers
Song Sparrow (2)
RUSTY BLACKBIRD (3 but only 2 stayed)
Goldfinch (8-10)
House Sparrow (2)

Techny North Of Willow (12:45-1:15 p.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (5)
Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (only 7 at 1st but ended up with 67 as more & more arrived)
Wood Duck (10) & Mallard (34)
Blue Winged (2) & Green Winged (2) Teal
Red Tailed Hawk (1 hunting)
Deserted by the Killdeer today I was saved from a shorebird shutout by
3 Wilson's Snipe
Ring Billed Gull (1 fly-by)
Palm Warbler (2)
Swamp Sparrow (1)
Eastern Meadowlark (1 singing but hadn't seen or heard one here for
quite a while before today)
Goldfinch (2)

Also of some interest today was a Cooper's Hawk by the hospital
parking lot & a Chimney Swift flying over at home in Park Ridge.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the 2 well seen, mud flat walking Rusty Blackbirds
at Techny Basin proper &
Runner-Up to the late Spotted Sandpiper at the same place.

Al Stokie
Close to home again in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: