Date: 10/4/17 12:57 pm
Subject: American Kestrel
Afternoon walks are usually very slow as far as birds are concerned. But
this afternoon on my walk I saw an American Kestrel. It was a nice
surprise and is the earliest that I have seen one on our farm. There were
also other raptors: Red-Tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, and Turkey
Vulture. Blayne has just mowed some of our pastures so mice, etc. are more
visible. This may have attracted the raptors.

The checklist is below.

Olsen's Farm, Union, North Carolina, US
Oct 4, 2017 3:40 PM - 4:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
12 species

Turkey Vulture 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
American Kestrel 1 First I have seen this season. Last year I saw a
kestrel occasionally and in the winter.
American Crow 1
Tufted Titmouse 2
Eastern Bluebird 5
Northern Mockingbird 6
Northern Cardinal 2
Eastern Meadowlark 2
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=MsUzAAYUEGMTTm2NYYyfjy_jGtetECEf5MD7icr-kGs&s=zbzrHmQAvaYgNXM17GDJdogwCWeCST2R77iBaHZkskk&e=
checklist/S39551202

Anne Olsen
Monroe, NC

Join us on Facebook!