Date: 10/4/17 11:23 am
From: David Boltz via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Vesper & Lincoln's Sparrows - Blandy Farm, Clarke Co.
Bill Parkin and I spent the morning at Blandy Farm, hoping for a good Warbler and Vireo day. Only 4 Warblers (Prairie was a good find) and NO Vireos. However, at Rattlesnake Spring (at the pavilion) we found both a Vesper and a Lincoln's Sparrow(s). Common Yellowthroat, Yellow-rumped, and Prairie Warblers were also at that spot, along with a vocalizing Winter Wren that never did show itself. Swamp Sparrow have also arrived, but surprisingly, no White-throated yet.

Complete list below.

Dave Boltz

Blandy Experimental Farm/State Arboretum of Virginia, Clarke, Virginia, US
Oct 4, 2017 7:55 AM - 11:55 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.5 mile(s)
47 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 12
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 7
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Killdeer 1
Mourning Dove 12
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Chimney Swift 2
Red-headed Woodpecker 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 5
Hairy Woodpecker 3
Northern Flicker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Eastern Phoebe 5
Blue Jay 20
American Crow 4
Fish Crow 2
Common Raven 1
Tree Swallow 3
Carolina Chickadee 7
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 6
Winter Wren 1
Carolina Wren 5
Eastern Bluebird 15
Catharus sp. 1
American Robin 8
Gray Catbird 7
Northern Mockingbird 10
European Starling 15
Cedar Waxwing 6
Common Yellowthroat 2
American Redstart 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Prairie Warbler 1 Beautiful male. Very yellow underneath with black streaking in flanks. Distinctive facial pattern. Greenish on back with red smudge spot below nape.
Vesper Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 7
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Swamp Sparrow 4