Date: 10/4/17 8:02 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: VERMILION, NO; MANY OTHER BIRDS, YES
Vermilion Flycatcher photographed by Karen Garrett September 30, at Craig State Fish Hatchery in Centerton, was no show for us yesterday. Joan Reynolds and I visited attractive fencerows for a couple of hours at and adjacent the hatchery.

In the flycatcher department we turned up Scissor-tailed (~20) and Eastern Phobes (2). Great-tailed Grackles (~60) vocalized in fields along SW Barron. Egyptian Geese were along Anglin Road (2) and at the hatchery (2). Ospreys (2) worked ponds at the hatchery and an adult Bald Eagle perched on one of the tall powerpoles. Northern Shoveler (2), Blue-winged Teal (3), and Wilsonís Snipe (6). A juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker was in the hatchery woods.

It was pretty windy all morning, but not so loud we couldnít hear squeals from a Southern Leopard Frog. An Eastern Garter Snake had it by the hind leg. South wind was a challenge for Monarch migration, but we still saw at least 5.

Join us on Facebook!