Date: 10/4/17 7:57 am
From: Jerry Davis <jwdavis...>
Subject: Birds, Bees and Flowers, Verbesina encelioides (Cav.) Benth. & Hook. f. ex A. Gray
I have a patch of Golden Crownbeard and American beautyberry in my backyard about 30’ X 60’ in size. The Golden Crownbeard is a native annual and one of the few flowering plants we have that is not eaten to the ground by the 7 – 10 deer that frequent our yard. To my knowledge in our drought, it is the only flowers for miles around. This flower has many bees and butterflies using it as a nectar source. I have summer tanagers in my yard all summer, but for several weeks Summer tanagers once called Bee tanagers and Eastern Phoebes have been using the area daily as a source to catch bees.

You could give this plant consideration for the birds and bees for your yard and especially if you have deer problems that take out other options. It is enjoyable to watch these birds feed.

Jerry Wayne Davis
Hot Springs, AR

Join us on Facebook!