Date: 10/3/17 7:53 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (03 Oct 2017) 47 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hank Davis, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Hank Davis, Jim Balint, Kathleen Pileggi, Lorraine Tahar.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (20-0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 54 - 73F, Winds ENE-SE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and
Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-2; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Is Chivalry Dead? YES!”---

In a very nice gesture, Kathleen went to my mom’s house, picked her up and
brought her out for a day spent at the Hawk Watch. I needed that,
Kathleen! Thank you…

Greeting me this morning at The Watch was a pile of feathers near our
feeding station. Upon closer examination, there may well be one less
White-crowned Sparrow to count today, and just possibly one satiated
accipiter migrating south. This is for the overall evolutionary benefit of
the species, though – creating stronger, more alert, generations by passing
those genes forward. Sure, it’s hard to accept, a bit – especially if
you’re that White-crowned Sparrow, having traveled hundreds or thousands of
miles, simply to meet this fate.

As one sometimes does, a Pileated Woodpecker spent time out on one of our
snags in the brilliant sunlight. Now, that’s a sight to behold! Another
woodpecker, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker flew by The Watch, representing the
second of this species for the season.

We’ve had a fantastic year for Broad-winged Hawks here at Bucktoe, with
well over 10,000 birds counted. We are at the “dribs and drabs” stage of
their fall migration now. So, a group of eight birds lifting off in front
of me bright and early this morning and forming a kettle, was thoroughly
enjoyable, though a bit surprising.

A group of Mallards flew over, containing one Black Duck (species # 121).
Hank was here over lunch, filling our depleted water feature with water
delivered by, my fishing buddy, Jim. Jim shared stories of a recently
completed fishing trip to New York for Atlantic Salmon. Now Jim, that’s
good eats! Thanks, Hank & Jim, for the help! On top of that, Hank was
“hot” on the Eagles, finding five during the afternoon!

After today’s watch, Kathleen and I went to the new satellite Trail Creek
Outfitters in downtown Kennett Square. Owner, Ed knows us, of the Bucktoe
Creek Preserve Hawk Watch and of our sponsor, The Land Conservancy for
Southern Chester County, and agreed to put up a sign advertising the Hawk
Watch. Upon leaving Trail Creek Outfitters and returning to the car parked
on a congested street, I went to open her door for Kathleen, as is my
habit.
“Don’t do that. It’s dangerous with these cars whizzing by so close and
fast.”
“You’re right,” I said, laughing. “It’s not safe and I could just see the
headlines now, “True Gentleman, Killed Opening a Door in Kennett.” I
thought it was funny, but was in no way ready for what happened next.
Giggling, Kathleen said, “No way! The headline would read: ‘Is Chivalry
Dead? Yes, It IS!! (and just now)”
Touché, Kathleen. Touché!! When I was a columnist, I always had problems
with those pesky headline writers, feeling they never captured the story I
wrote. Writers don’t get to write their own headlines. Now in Kathleen, I
finally had a headline writer - in this fantasy column- who did much better
than I thought I could have done myself. You got me, Kathleen! Good one!!

I will be late arriving tomorrow…another doctor’s appointment…arriving by
11am. I will stay until 5pm to make up for it.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 1-American Black Duck, 1-Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
3-Palm Warbler, 1-Lincoln's Sparrow, 1-Swamp Sparrow, 3-White-crowned
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (15): Monarch - 18, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing,
Sachem, Painted Lady. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Wandering Glider. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern
Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.83; Steps: 13,688; Floors:
42.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 52; this season: 121
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” American
Black Duck.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks foggy to begin with, better later with light
winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: