Date: 10/3/17 7:35 pm
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte2...>
Subject: KOS Fall Meeting Program and event updates
Good evening KSBIRDers!

If you are going to the KOS Meeting this weekend in Junction City please
note that the full program including presented papers schedule is now posted
on the fall meeting website:

http://ksbirds.org/kos/Fall2017/2017_KOS_Fall.htm

The program is the first link at the top of the page. Please note that we have
18 papers being presented this year - a very good number. As such, the
Saturday morning welcome will be moved up to 8:50 a.m. so that we can
start the papers at 9 a.m. sharp!

That's about the only change on the program. An informal reception with light
snacks will be at the 4-H Building from 7 to 9 on Friday evening for those
who have arrived. The building will be open at 8 a.m. on Saturday morning
for registration. Coffee and donuts will be provided. Saturday lunch is on your
own but there's no shortage of places to go to eat! The Saturday evening
banquet starts at 6:30 but the building will be open the entire time from the
end of the papers and KOS Business meeting until it starts. Feel free to
sneak out and bird a bit (Junction City's Highland Cemetery and the famed
Walla Walla Rd are both nearby), go back to your motel and relax or hang
out at the building and socialize. If you have not yet made banquet
reservations, it's too late. But you can still come and enjoy the awards and
after dinner speaker, Dr. Alice Boyle from K-State talking about the amazing
life of manakins!

Sunday morning we will meet at the Fairgrounds parking lot at 7 a.m. At this
time we are planning four field trips:

Bob Kruger will be leading a group to points south on the way to the
reservoirs around the town of Herington - probably the best place to work on
waterbirds for your Dickinson County list.

Doris Burnett will also be heading to south Geary County with an ultimate
destination of Rock Springs Ranch. Likely there'll be a stop at the Geary
State Fishing Lake and perhaps some roadside stops along pastures for
sparrows.

Mike Rader and Ted Cable will be taking a group to.... will I'm not really sure
but I think I've heard Riley county in the discussion. Hey, with these two, who
knows, but it'll be fun!

Jaye and I will be leading folks around Milford Lake including Walla Walla
Road, perhaps a stop by some of the sparrow pastures west of Junction City.

Or if you want to head off on your own foray - I'll be happy to give you some
suggestions!

We've got a good group that have reserved lunches for Sunday noon. We
will meet back at the Milford Nature Center at noon, for sandwiches and the
compilation. Directions of how to get to the Nature Center are in the program.

If you have any last minute questions, don't hesitate to drop me an email!
Othewise, I'll see you this weekend!

Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>