Date: 10/3/17 4:41 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos birds & flutterbys 10/3/2017
I worked out on the south end of the N Spit of Coos Bay today collecting
pink sand verbena seed. Gorgeous sunny day with winds less than 10 mph and
temps up to 70F.

On the drive out there was a SE OWL feeding out in the open beachgrass, not
a species I see every year in Coos. Along the road there was a LAPLAND
LONGSPUR that really didn't want to leave the road. Besides pipits out
where we were working there was a HORNED LARK, another species I don't see
every year in the county. Another Lapland on drive out.

I did some 5 minute butterfly counts during lunch and averaged 3-4/min, 90%
tortoiseshells and 10% Painted Ladies the latter stopping and feeding on
the Abronia where I could check to make sure they were not American Ladies.

Fun day!
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!