Date: 10/3/17 4:35 pm
From: Nickilas Paulson <grendelpgill...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Bolton Flats WMA 10/3 - Blue Grosbeak, Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler, 79 species. Also Bobcat
Howdy, I spent the morning at Bolton Flats WMA. I started at the main
entrance along Rt117. Heading north to the river's edge at the second
oxbow field and back. Then I hiked the S section to the Model Airplane
field and back. There was a great warbler fallout this morning that kept me going as I quickly figured I could break 75 species for the one
walk. I had over 50 species before I found a chickadee. Lots of
highlights but I liked finding a 1st year Audubon's Yellow-Rumped Warbler a lot, especially among 450+ of its Myrtle cousins. As well as
finally getting a Blue Grosbeak for this spot. 2 Greater Scaup in Still
River was only my second time for Bolton Flats as well. A quick stop to
add Vesper Sparrow to the list at the Pine Hill section added great

views of a Bobcat as well. Of course when I pulled out the phone to take a picture it faded into the brush.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 92
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 3
Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) 1
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 7
Green-winged Teal (American) (Anas crecca carolinensis) 2
Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) 2 M/F pair in Still River. Only the second time I have had this species here.
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) 1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 1
American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus) 1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 2
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 5
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) 1
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1
Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (borealis) (Buteo jamaicensis borealis) 6
Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) 1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 15
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 18
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 12
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 18
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus) 16
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus) 15
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 3
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 21
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 144 Likely undercount. Hard to figure how many are recounts. Counted double this but cut in half as they roam around so much.
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 21
Common Raven (Corvus corax) 2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 28
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 23
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 23
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 2
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 6
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 31
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis) 15
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 18
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 25
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 30
American Pipit (Anthus rubescens) 2
Tennessee Warbler (Oreothlypis peregrina) 1
Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata) 1
Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla) 2
Connecticut Warbler (Oporornis agilis) 1 Drawn to the bird as it flew from the field to the big brushy area by the river near the post in the NW corner of the main field by its take-off call. Only a quick perched view before it disappeared into brush. Larger yellow/green warbler. Duller yellow than Mourning. Complete white eyering. looked like a 1st-year bird.
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 25
Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina) 1 Mixed in the huge flock in the Birch hedgerow. On the walk out I heard it call, but would not count it for sure from the call, but on the way back I was able to see it out in full sun. Adult male. Yellow breast with many fine black streaks that continue down through white stomach, yellow face and side of neck and still a little red to the cheek, dark crown.
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) 3
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) 1
Palm Warbler (Western) (Setophaga palmarum palmarum) 1
Palm Warbler (Yellow) (Setophaga palmarum hypochrysea) 7
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus) 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata) 450 Biggest group in birch hedgerow by path along river between main entrance and red barn entrance. Very large mixed flock. This is where most other Warbler species were picked out. 3-8 birds per tree there about 225 birds in just this stretch alone. Also flocks all along river and some through fields. Tried to be conservative, trees were dripping with them. When pushing as many as 60 seen at once in multiple spots.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (Setophaga coronata auduboni) 1 Heard bolder chip note from a Yellow-rumped in the Siberian Crabapple in the middle of the field in the second oxbow area. This field is straight out from the Red Barn entrance. I then looked at the bird to study it based on the stronger call. it was a first winter female. Pale throat, but not extending to sides of neck like Myrtle. Plain head with no streaks. Brown back with few streaks. Brown breast with no black streaks. yellow flanks. I spent the next hour studying hundreds of myrtles, all the 1st year myrtles had a whiter stomach, darker streaks, a darker pronounced collar between throat and breast, streaks on head and little to no yellow on flanks. No myrtle called like this bird.
Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla) 1
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 3
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) 2
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) 1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 42
Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus) 2
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) 8
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 125 Counted 145. Reduced in case of recounts.
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 3
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) 135 Counted to 155. Reduced in case of recounts
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus) 8
sparrow sp. (Passerellidae sp. (sparrow sp.)) 1 Heard an insect like sparrow call once. Immediate thought was Leconte's Sparrow. Did not call again and no flushed sparrow was an ammodramus type. Called from NE corner of main field where they created big muddy ruts in field when cutting grass by the often flooded corner.
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) 1
Blue Grosbeak (Passerina caerulea) 1 I was standing next to the N end of birch hedgerow on the way back watching warblers and sparrows flying from the marsh into the hedgerow and studying the birds i could see. A larger sized all blue bird with a larger head and large bill flew in from the field and flew right in front of me and dropped right into the hedgerow. Did not call or pish up. Larger than a Song or Swamp Sparrows in flight, and larger bill rules out Indigo Bunting. Shape in flight fit. Did not make out wing color.
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 2
Dickcissel (Spiza americana) 1 Flew out of field new birch hedgerow. Called distinctive flight call twice as it flew south.
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) 32 Counted by ones in several flocks heading south before sunrise. Only counted birds in flight. But calls heard all around.
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 11
Rusty Blackbird (Euphagus carolinus) 7
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 4
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 4
Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus) 1