Date: 10/3/17 2:14 pm
From: Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers...>
Subject: [obol] Corvallis Yellow-throated Warbler (not chaseable unless...)
Fellow Obolonians,

Today (10/3) at about 12:25 Tom Gilg and I identified a Yellow-throated
Warbler at Hewlett Packard in Corvallis. (Unfortunately access is
restricted to people who work there and people escorted by HP employees.)

I first heard warbler chip notes in the vicinity of the fruit trees that
are along the fence west of the cafeteria, then heard chip notes in flight,
going north. I then spotted it flying from a conifer to the very tall
conifer that is near the cafeteria and the closest one to the lake.

It flew into a dense clump of fir at the end of a branch about half way up
the fir tree. Tom and I both had brief glimpses as it worked its way
through the clump. Finally it fully emerged for a brief view before flying
to another branch, then it disappeared. We watched in vain for another
15-20 minutes but saw no birds in that area.

I was first struck (during brief glimpses in the shadows) by the yellow
throat extending to the lower breast that had me thinking Yellowthroat.
When it emerged, I finally had a view of the black mask and white eyebrow.
I also noted the white belly and undertail coverts and a lack of any other
yellow on the bird.

Jamie Simmons
Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!