Date: 10/3/17 7:02 am
From: <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Huntington and Newport
Yesterday I had 13 immature Common Terns just outside the mouth of the Talbert outlet at Huntington State Beach (by the Least Tern Preserve). They were with a mixed group of Forster's, Elegant, and Royal Terns that was standing on an exposed mudflat just below lifeguard tower 2. This was precisely at low tide, and may be a good "stakeout" spot to see Common Terns other than the single bird that has been widely reported at Bolsa Chica. It is the same location that Bill Halladay had 37 Common Terns on September 12. The next low tide is today at 4:20 pm.

I put some photos of the Common Terns in this eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39524285 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39524285

I also had two hatch year Heermann's Gulls on Newport Beach between the Santa Ana River mouth and the Newport Pier (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39521388 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39521388), and 87 Snowy Plovers earlier in the day on Huntington State Beach spread among three separate roosts (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39518262 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39518262).

Ryan Winkleman
RSM

Even walls fall down.

Join us on Facebook!