Date: 10/3/17 6:42 am
From: Chuck Berthoud <cbpabirds...>
Subject: October eBird Challenge
Hello PA Birders:

Qualifying checklists for October’s eBird challenge will be only those
that have attached photos and audio recordings. The birding community is
encouraged to help build the Macaulay Library with our digital media.
With the advent of Merlin Photo ID software in December our pictures can
be compared to others in the library. The bigger the library the more
accurate the ID and make it easier for the software to use poorer
quality photos.

In early August eBird Mobile for Android released the ability to keep
track of your birding effort through the phone's GPS. I have been using
this for two months now. The write up makes the case for using GPS
tracking to create more accurate habitat associations for the birds we
report. This in turn improves the interpretation of STEM models-those
cool maps that track migration over the course of the year. Four STEM
models are provided with the August 3 write up on eBird. Check out the
Barn Swallow migration at this link.:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/stem/barswa/

Good birding.

Chuck,