Date: 10/3/17 6:25 am
From: Jared Gorrell <jsgorrell...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET IOS Carlyle Lake Pelagic Trip (9/30)
Hi, all!

Since I have seen nothing about this trip posted on here since the weekend,
here's my blogpost about the Illinois Ornithological Society's trip to
Carlyle Lake on September 30. I'm not sure why the least-experienced birder
is writing up the first trip report that appears in this listserv, but so
it goes.

https://lostinnatureblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/03/my-first-pelagic-trip-ios-lake-carlyle/

In summary, if you don't want to read the whole thing, our best finds were
Nelson's Sparrow in Eldon Hazlet State Park and Red Phalarope along the
southeastern side of Carlyle Lake. Large flocks of Forster's Terns (well
over 150 birds) were observed towards the end of the trip. No Sabine's
Gulls were seen, continuing the streak of bad luck with this species for
this trip, despite a sighting just the night before. I personally had four
lifers (Nelson's Sparrow, Philadelphia Vireo, Black-bellied Plover and Red
Phalarope) and one state lifer (Marsh Wren), as well as 89 birds for the
day, and considering my lack of experience others definitely had longer
lists. While no spectacular rarities were discovered, it was a good trip
with plenty to see.

Good birding!

Jared Gorrell
Jackson County