Date: 10/3/17 6:17 am
Subject: Falls Lake fall bird count results
Let me know if you would like the results in excel with site breakdown.

NCFL Fall 2017 results

The 12th Falls Lake FALL bird count was held on 9/18/2017 under cloudy
skies with temperatures ranging from 68 to 82 degrees. A record high 21
counters in 12 parties detected our third highest 108 species (average 96)
and 3,636 total birds (average 2478). Led by perennial leaders, 268
American Crow, 158 Pine Warbler and 191 Carolina Chickadee (Howdy Karen!). One
count week bird: Green Heron.

From the rare list: two parties found Merlin; mud flats proded 9 species of
shorebirds including semipalmated plovers, both yellowlegs and some
pectoral sandpipers, though the long paddle back from ledge creek flats
produced a least bittern! Empids showed well with single Yellow-bellied at
Sandling, Willow at Beaverdam and two parties reported Acadian Flycatcher
which is becoming so regular I’m moving it off the rare list. Warbler
highlights were 2 Blue-winged and 2 Worm-eating Warbler at
Rollingview. Nocturnal
flight calls produced 4 gray-cheeked thrush from two parties and a single
Dickcissel. A single song sparrow at Olive Grove game land dove fields.

Misses are very easy in fall: Sharp-shinned Hawk, Least Sandpiper,
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Yellow, Cape May and Blackburnian Warbler, Northern
Waterthrush, Field Sparrow and Red-winged Blackbird!

Thanks to all the counters that helped out!

Mark your calendars for the Falls Lake

Christmas Bird Count Wednesday January 3, 2018

Spring Count Wednesday April 25, 2018

Fall Count Wednesday Sep 12, 2018

--
Brian Bockhahn