Date: 10/3/17 3:20 am
From: Marlene A Condon via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] western Albemarle-FOS Gc Kinglet, White-throat on Oct. 2; phoebe mating behavior!!
First of season Golden-crowned Kinglet and White-throated Sparrow on Oct. 2 (yesterday) in western Albemarle.  Also heard a juvenile Red-eyed Vireo.

Of particular interest:  A male and female phoebe "discussing" nesting sites around my house!!!!!!  I was in the yard about 8 AM yesterday when the male started making what I call his "nesting" sound, which he does when he is telling the female he has a nest location for her to check out.  I was very surprised to look up towards the house and see him with a female at the SW corner of the roof where there has been a nest in the past on the drainpipe there.  Then they both flew towards the NW corner where a similar drainpipe exists that could possibly be used for a nest (but never has been).

So strange to think phoebes would be acting as if it's nesting season when winter birds are arriving!

Sincerely,
Marlene