Date: 10/2/17 10:31 pm
From: Oscar Harper <oeharper3...>
Subject: [obol] Curry Co. gnatcatcher, longspurs, Snow Geese and others
Hi all,

The Hinkle brothers, Hendrik and I (or, as Thomas Meinzen once referred to
us, the 4 Hs) did our traditional, third annual fall trip to the South
Coast last weekend (Sep 30/Oct 1). The weather was very pleasant, and while
we failed to turn up any jaw-dropping rarities, we had a great time and
found a nice variety of birds in most places we stopped at.

The best bird of the trip was a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER discovered by Adrian
at Mill Beach in Brookings (while Chris, Hendrik and I checked Chetco
Point, so we missed it).

Other good finds included LAPLAND LONGSPURS (one at Cape Blanco with a
flock of Am. Pipits on 9/30, and 2 at Floras Lake on 10/1), a flock of 18
(!) SNOW GEESE flying south over Floras Lake (10/1), a male WOOD DUCK at
the S Jetty in Gold Beach, a RUDDY TURNSTONE with 31 Black Turnstones at
Bandon, two MARBLED MURRELETS off McVay Rock SP in Brookings, a couple of
RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS at Arizona Beach, PACIFIC-SLOPE and WILLOW
FLYCATCHERS (Pistol River), several WARBLING VIREOS (Winchuck River, Chetco
Point and Pistol River, all 10/1), a couple of CALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAYS at
Ophir and one at Lone Ranch, a singing AMERICAN DIPPER at Humbug Mt.
campground, a good variety of warblers in many places (Orange-crowned,
Yellow, Black-throated Gray, Townsend's, Wilson's, MacGillivray's, along
with many Yellow-rumps (almost exclusively Myrtles) and Common
Yellowthroats), a CHIPPING SPARROW at Crissey Field, a WHITE-THROATED
SPARROW at McVay Rock, and a WANDERING CONTRERAS at Arizona Beach and again
at Gold Beach.

Alas, we were unable to relocate the BLACKPOLL WARBLER found by Tim
Rodenkirk and Terry Wahl at the Pistol River, despite looking with them for
over an hour.

Ain't birding fun!

Oscar

The Hinkles can add anything I forgot.