Date: 10/2/17 10:20 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: White-throated Swifts
Poor photos but good enough for an ID. Great observation and documentation.
Bob O'Brien

On Monday, October 2, 2017, Regular <nickenew1...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm only visiting Oregon for a few more days so I figured I'd make a run
down to Sisters from the Portland area for woodpeckers and Pinyon Jay
(successful with White-headed and the Jay). On my way down I stopped at
Smith Rock State Park, which I found to be stunning and remarkably well
trafficked for a Monday. Anyway, only a few minutes out of the parking lot
I looked up the the tops of the several hundred story cliffs to see a flock
of about 17 swifts flying around. Immediately I recognized the difference
in shape between these birds and the Vaux's Swifts I've been seeing the
past few weeks even though I couldn't see the plumage details. The wings
seemed longer and more swept back and the body longer and thinner. At the
time I didn't realize quite how late these birds were but a few minutes
later I found that they were flagged by eBird. Later on during my walk I
was able to see the unmistakeable black and white patterning of this
species. Unfortunately, due to the distance and my camera's technical
limitations, I was only able to capture incredibly poor documentation shots
(attached to the eBird checklist).
> I'm now at a motel room near Malheur, so much for a day trip to Sisters,
and while looking for other similarly dated eBird records found that there
were none from Oregon in October. Is anyone aware of any October
White-throated Swift records for Oregon? There is an eBird record of 54
from Douglas county, Washington 01 Oct 2013.

> Good birding,
>
> Nick Newberry
> William & Mary class of 2017

Join us on Facebook!