Date: 10/2/17 9:48 pm
From: Regular <nickenew1...>
Subject: [obol] White-throated Swifts
Hi all,

I'm only visiting Oregon for a few more days so I figured I'd make a run down to Sisters from the Portland area for woodpeckers and Pinyon Jay (successful with White-headed and the Jay). On my way down I stopped at Smith Rock State Park, which I found to be stunning and remarkably well trafficked for a Monday. Anyway, only a few minutes out of the parking lot I looked up the the tops of the several hundred story cliffs to see a flock of about 17 swifts flying around. Immediately I recognized the difference in shape between these birds and the Vaux's Swifts I've been seeing the past few weeks even though I couldn't see the plumage details. The wings seemed longer and more swept back and the body longer and thinner. At the time I didn't realize quite how late these birds were but a few minutes later I found that they were flagged by eBird. Later on during my walk I was able to see the unmistakeable black and white patterning of this species. Unfortunately, due to the distance and my camera's technical limitations, I was only able to capture incredibly poor documentation shots (attached to the eBird checklist).

I'm now at a motel room near Malheur, so much for a day trip to Sisters, and while looking for other similarly dated eBird records found that there were none from Oregon in October. Is anyone aware of any October White-throated Swift records for Oregon? There is an eBird record of 54 from Douglas county, Washington 01 Oct 2013.

Good birding,

Nick Newberry
William & Mary class of 2017

Join us on Facebook!