Date: 10/2/17 8:56 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (02 Oct 2017) 54 Raptors

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 18:44:23 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (02 Oct 2017) 54 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 3 8
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 3 60

Total: 54 326 11285

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Bill LaFleche, Bill Rasku, Kathy Olson, Mark Letizi,
Marty McNamara, Steve Olson, Ted Mara

Visitors:
Observers: Bill Rasku, Ted Mara, Bill LaFleche, Mark
Letizi, George Russell, Marty McNamara, Rod Chase, Steve and Kathy Olson.
Also onboard: newcomers Maggie Debbie, Vito LaMura, Amy Wager, and Rick
Thibault. Hi, as well, to John and Linda.

Pleasant day for the moderate flow of hikers and others
who summited the hill.

Weather:
A variable breeze that started from the North and ended
from East while making a multitude of shifts thru the day.
Speed was 6-8mph for 2 hours before falling off to 3-5
and 0-3mph all afternoon.
This drop allowed the sun to warm things up from morning's 53F to 62F at
2pm. Visibility was 10 mi. all day while the all blue sky finally lost 10%
to thin cumulus puffs and a few higher clouds.

Raptor Observations:
Raptors went by mostly in 1's and 2's except for one push
of TV's in the 9am hour. In the slow last hour we all had
bino's on, presumably, the last bird of the day. A single
sharpie was close in front when dive-bombed by a larger
bird from above. We simultaneously focused on the aggressor and eyes
popped! It was our first Northern Goshawk since 2014.
BE's: both immature, one at 11:00 and one at 1:52.

Locals: Ad. BE appeared in NE at least 4 times. Also, an
imm. BE to north.
TV's 15, RT's 9.

Non-raptor Observations:
Also, 16 Common Ravens up and around.
Migrating: 1 Loon, 470 Canada Geese.
Monarchs: 6.

Predictions:
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 43. East wind 3 to 5 mph.
Tuesday
Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high
near 69. Light and variable wind.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!