Date: 10/2/17 8:38 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Oct 2017) 33 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Kathleen Rengert, Jim Balint, Kathleen Pileggi .
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (5-0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 52 - 74F, Winds NNW-NNE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and
Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Sparrow Wars”---

Happy 101st Birthday, Howard Brokaw!
First in was a Swamp Sparrow, picking cracked corn up near our “water
feature,” spread just there for that expressed purpose, and making the time
I used to get it yesterday seem well-spent. But a Song Sparrow would
simply have none of it – driving it back into the brush. At 9:39 our first
White-crowned Sparrow (becoming our 120th species at The Watch) appeared -
an immature, born just this year. It’s size, if not the site’s
familiarity, giving it the edge over our “unhospitable” Song Sparrow. A
second White-crowned joined in the melee, this going to the bath itself.
Get in there and clean that ‘dirty bird.’ You had a long flight in, fella.
These White-crowned Sparrows have never set eyes on Bucktoe Basin before,
yet suddenly had full control like they’ve been her for years. Oh, those
precocious youngsters!

The sky remained devastatingly blue, hiding all those within its depths. I
stayed with “my sparrows.” Four Song Sparrows now overwhelmed the water
feature, leaving water flying in every direction and splashing our current
star of the show – a smaller and darker Lincoln’s Sparrow – who remained in
the adjacent brush. He was obviously to me, in desperate need of a drink
and a bath. I feel your pain, my friend – I’ve been there! At 9:49, “Mr.
Lincoln” got his chance, delicately splashing the water. It’s amazing how
upon close observation, birds “personalities” are revealed – don’t you
think? A Savannah Sparrow was next, avoiding the bath, opting for food.
(I’ve been there, too!) But “Sparrow…clean thyself!!” I must remember that
I said that the next time I reach for the refrigerator over the shower
curtain. Now, a Song Sparrow displaced EVERYONE, ferociously taking a bath
and vanquishing all others to the thicket.

Skies still were empty to the non- scanning eye, besides this bathing
escapade was too much fun to lose it all training my eyes in to that
endlessly deep blue wasteland. There’ll be lots of time for THAT!

A Field Sparrow finally made its way in, feeding first, then daintily
sipping from Bucktoe Basin, perturbing the Song Sparrows, already drenched,
to no end. The chase was on. Songs won at first; Field persisted, winning
in the end. With all this incessant activity, it’s no wonder why I have to
add water every day – it’s this Bucktoe Basin Bathing Brawl thing!

A single Broad-winged Hawk became visible, somewhere in that blue vastness,
breaking up my “terrestrial fun.” Not to be outdone (or out cleaned) a
Common Yellowthroat came in, as did a Palm Warbler. Finally, a third
White-crowned, this one of the few adults we get here. Already
pristine-looking, he bathed anyway, just to show the youngster’s how it’s
done. Just then, another pregnant Praying Mantis flew by, alighting in the
meadow grasses, a painful reminder and more sadness for our brothers in
arms, fellas! Likely, one less of our brethren!! Rejoice in your “male
cards!”

Anyway, there it was – six Sparrow species (3 or 4 not normally seen at
your feeders, right?)– working things out between themselves and with no
threat of nuclear holocaust involved. All ending up cleaned, fed and
bathed. At least those that wanted to…Mr. Savannah! Maybe the way they
handle things TRUMPS how we do things? That last statement was forced at
my hand by “Bucktoe Jimmy.” You all know “Bucktoe Jimmy,” right? He’s our
stuffed corvid mascot – usually with a bottle of “Old Crow” in hand….er,
uh…in wing. ‘Jimmy’ has definite political ideas, theories (aspirations?)
that he won’t squelch – I’ve tried – he won’t listen to me…rather choosing
to ‘crow’ about something. A bit opinionated, he is - his mind ravenous
(sorry) with activity.

Back to the blue sky - you know, blue was always my favorite color…that is,
until I started counting hawks…

Kathleen covered our adjacent “warbler meadow” ragweed field this morning
reporting it alive with activity including 2 Black-throated Blue Warblers,
many Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a Magnolia Warbler. [KR]. We covered it
later in the day finding those and adding a late female Blackburnian
Warbler.

I had fun with the sparrows this morning, trouble finding hawks all day in
this sky, now it’s time for some real sadness and tears, right? A good
healthy cry is in order?? I called my mom finally, after forgetting my
birthday on Saturday. I had avoided it…not knowing what to do. Mention
it? Ignore it? What?? Well, in true “Larry fashion” I dealt with it,
minimally, by calling, but avoided the crux of the matter, not mentioning
it at all. My mom still knew nothing of it in conversation. A mere,
“What’s new?” came from mom. I just couldn’t bear to tell her what was
new. It was breaking my heart how this was not her. I didn’t want her to
feel sad or sorry, right? Is anything worse than this??? Too sad to write
any more…

I will be late arriving again on Wednesday…another doctor’s
appointment…arriving by 11am. I will stay until 5pm to make up for it. I
stay until then, anyway, writing… What better place to write than my
“field office” in the….well, field?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
2-Great Blue Heron, 4-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 3-Magnolia Warbler,
2-Black-throated Blue Warbler, 1-Blackburnian Warbler, 1-Palm Warbler,
1-Savannah Sparrow, 1-Lincoln's Sparrow, 1-Swamp Sparrow, 4-White-crowned
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 22, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Red-spotted Purple, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies
(2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals
(1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.2; Steps: 12,208; Floors: 24.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 120
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks ____