Date: 10/2/17 1:56 pm
From: <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Dark Merlin at Mile Square Park
Today (Oct. 2 about 11:45) while birding at Mile Square Park, Lena Hayashi and I spotted a very dark Merlin sitting in a tree near Shelter 13. We got closer for some pictures, then it flew off. We sat at Shelter 13 for a bit, then got up to leave, and I as I checked all the trees, I spotted it again on a branch in a sycamore tree above Shelter 15. It was eating a bird it had caught. I called Rick Shearer, who was in the Nature Center, and he joined us. We’ll all have pictures in our eBird reports later. There were also two Fox Sparrows in the Nature Center, spotted by a group of birders (Southwest Bird Study Group?), which Lena and I also saw.

Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Join us on Facebook!