Date: 10/2/17 1:12 pm
From: Rebecca Coulter <rfcphoebe...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Lake Los Carneros this morning
Greetings birders,
During a birding class this morning, we had a nice collection of migrants and a few surprises. Many of the expected land bird migrants were present: Townsend’s, Yellow-rumped, Yellow, Black-throated Gray, Wilson’s warblers; Western Tanager; Black-headed Grosbeak; Bullock’s Oriole; Red-breasted Sapsucker. The Loggerhead Shrike continues on the east side of the lake, 8 Greater White-fronted Goose circled the lake, a fast-flying group of Blue-winged Teal briefly passed over the lake and move on toward the north (perhaps to the La Patera Ranch pond?), and a surprise Cattle Egret was among the Mallards resting on the southeast shore of the lake. Another highlight was the group of 4 White-tailed Kite juveniles vocalizing constantly and interacting with each other over Stow House. I have never before heard some of these sounds from Kites—a harsh raspy call occasionally punctuated by the expected chirpy whistles.

On another note: a tree crew was working to remove the dead conifers along the western side of the asphalt path along the lake. I spoke briefly with the crew leader, and he said they were advised by an environmental report to minimize total destruction of the trees most birders know to be used by many birds over the seasons. In at least one case they said they had been instructed to just remove the limbs of one of the conifers and leave the trunk standing. It was interesting to see an “Arborist Present” sign at the site. I don’t know the extent of this removal, if it will include the trees on the extreme western side of the property, which have a long history of use for nesting, roosting, and granary. I later spoke with an arborist familiar with the project, who indicated that wherever possible, the dead trees would be “encouraged” to fall away from the path and allowed to remain for habitat.

Rebecca Coulter
Santa Barbara

------------------------------------
Posted by: Rebecca Coulter <rfcphoebe...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)