Date: 10/2/17 1:01 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday morning Birdwalk
Thirty birders came together today for this morning's Huntley Meadows Monday morning Birdwalk.  We identified 46 species with several highlights:  we tallied our first White-throated Sparrow of the season; we witnessed a short skirmish between a Cooper's Hawk and a Belted Kingfisher which ended in a draw; more friction between a group of  birds and another hawk, this time between several Northern Flickers and one Red-shouldered Hawk; warblers are still coming through; and the main event was a Pas de Deux between a pair of Great Blue Herons on a section of the boardwalk.  This very graceful dance was witnessed by several of our group and filmed by most.  Was this courtship, or just dancing?
Canada Goose  24Wood Duck  34
Mallard  3
Great Blue Heron  5
Great Egret  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  14
Barred Owl  1
Chimney Swift  150
Belted Kingfisher  3
Red-headed Woodpecker  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  8
Downy Woodpecker  5
Northern Flicker  10
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Merlin  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  5
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  3
Fish Crow  1
crow sp.  3
Carolina Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  8
Eastern Bluebird  12
American Robin  26
Gray Catbird  3
European Starling  5
Common Yellowthroat  6
American Redstart  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
White-throated Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  6
Swamp Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  7
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Common Grackle  1
American Goldfinch  6

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park