Date: 10/2/17 12:33 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden Monday 10-2-17
Hello Bird People,

Spent 4 full hours (8 a.m.-noon) covering all areas within the CBG & I
have had enough walking for today! Since I was walking everywhere I
did not carry my scope so naturally I could have used it as a few
shorebirds were at quite a distance from the pathway. But eventually I
think I figured them all out or at least I hope so. Only 3 warbler
species & 5 sparrow species but I did see a few interesting birds.
Here's my list:

D.C. Cormorant (5)
Great Blue Heron (2 at the backwaters & 2 at the B.Brown Pond)
Great Egret (1 backwaters)
Canada Goose (71 total)
Wood Duck (38 with most at the B.Brown Pond)
Mallard (48)
Blue Winged Teal (2)
Killdeer (26)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (3)
Wilson's Snipe (1)
(All shorebirds at the backwater mud flats)
Herring Gull (2-AD & 1-IM)
Rock Pigeon (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (4)
Ruby Throated Hummer (1 fly-by)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2-3)
YELLOW BELLIED SAPSUCKER (2)
Downy Woodpecker (2)
Blue Jay (10-12)
Chickadee (2)
RED BREASTED NUTHATCH (2 & 2)
White Breasted Nuthatch (1)
Brown Creeper (1 alive & well & 1 dead on the ground)
Ruby Crowned Knglet (2)
Robins (20-25)
AMERICAN PIPIT (1 on the mud flats)
Cedar Waxwing (group of 5)
Starling (2)
Yellow Rumped Myrtle Warbler (6, some eating Juniper berries)
Palm Warbler (1)
Common Yellowthroat (1-F)
ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK (2)
Eastern Towhee (1-F)
Song Sparrow (3-4)
Swamp Sparrow (1)
White Throated Sparrow (16)
White Crowned Sparrow (1-IM)
Dark Eyed Junco (2, 1st Fall for me)
Red Winged Blackbird (2-AD-males)
Goldfinch (10-12)
House Sparrow (5-6)

If I did that right there should be 40 species on my day list.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the Pipit who only did a short version of the Pipit
strut today.
Runners-Up to the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks & the Red Breasted Nuthatches

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: