Date: 10/2/17 10:50 am
From: Bruce Newhouse <newhouse...>
Subject: [obol] Bird food: native cherries
Probably in your particular area, Mary Lee, Bitter Cherry (Prunus
emarginata var. mollis) is more common, as you are either in the West
Cascades Ecoregion or strongly influenced by it. In the south
Willamette Valley (Willamette Valley Ecoregion, south part),
Chokecherry (Prunus virginiana var. demissa) is fairly regular, and
Bitter Cherry is nearly absent. If you map them together on the
Oregon Plant Atlas you can see this elevational separation:
http://www.oregonflora.org/atlas.php#

NOTE: This separation does not necessarily hold for other areas! See
the map.

Bruce Newhouse in Eugene