Date: 10/2/17 9:50 am
From: Anne & Dan Heyerly <tanager...>
Subject: [obol] Lane county, Fern Ridge (Fisher Butte Unit) Oct. 1, 2017
Obolinks,

Birds Mentioned in the following narrative:

Red-shouldered Hawk
Northern Harrier
Peregrine Falcon
Merlin
Virginia Rail
Long-billed Dowitcher
Greater Yellowlegs
Pectoral Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
American Avocet
Golden Plover sp.
Black-bellied Plover
Wilson's Snipe

Anne and I birded the area south of Royal Ave. Sunday at midday (Oct. 1). We
scoured the shallow flats north of Royal Ave. west of the viewing platform,
the pond SW of the viewing platform, the pond west of the dike that extends
south from the viewing platform (this includes the partially submerged
disked canary grass area at the extreme SE corner of this pond), and the
used-to-be-pond that lies to the east of the disked area. The water is very
deep in most areas with little edge.

There were many Long-billed Dowitchers and fewer Greater Yellowlegs
scattered over all the areas. A small group of Western and Least Sandpipers
were feeding along the dike where there was edge.

The American Avocet continued SW of the platform on "Pelican Island". There
was what appeared to be a Golden Plover of some version hunkered down on
that island itself, but with the heat shimmer it was impossible to see great
detail. We had a sense of a more yellowish/tawny overall color, and the bill
seemed to be smaller than the half-dozen or so Black-bellied Plovers that
were scattered around the edges. Two Pectoral Sandpipers were present as
well. A Virginia Rail briefly appeared on the mud along the dike running
south from the platform. The only birds we saw in the disked area were a few
dowitchers and three Greater Yellowlegs that briefly visited.

There were a pair of Northern Harriers briefly harassing a Red-shouldered
Hawk over Royal Ave. extended, a Peregrine Falcon came through the crowd at
Pelican Island and was promptly ushered off by the harriers, and lastly a
Merlin flew by us slowly and landed on a snag about 50-yards away as we
walked north along the east edge of the disked area. Of course Anne left her
camera at home! You're welcome.

It was warm out there. We overdressed anticipating rain. We shed layers as
the day wore on.

Good birding!

Dan Heyerly, Eugene

Join us on Facebook!