Date: 10/1/17 9:35 pm
From: Dika Golovatchoff <digolov...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Evening birding at Bird Refuge
This evening I walked to the 3rd viewing platform (did find 12 Western
Sandpipers at 2nd platform). Observed were large numbers of Black-necked
Stilts, Coots, Northern Shovelers, Snowy and Great Egrets, a couple of
Spotted Sandpipers, 10 Killdeer, and 3 medium sized sandpipers. At a
distance I thought they were Least Sandpipers, but as they came closer to
me on the mudflat I could see that they were larger than Spotted but
smaller then Killdeer. They had yellow legs, rather long bills, broader
and pinker at the base, that drooped a bit toward the end - and clear
demarcation between the speckled breast and white belly - leading me to
believe they are Pectoral Sandpipers. They had stripes on their backs and
a long white line just above the eye. I think they are uncommon fall
migrants. I posted a few photos and would appreciate a positive ID.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digolov/

Dika Golovatchoff
​, Santa Barbara

https://japanimages2016.wordpress.com/