Date: 10/1/17 9:03 pm
From: Josh Adams <xjoshx...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Snohomish Turkey Vultures, WTSP, etc.
Hello Tweets,
Turkey Vulture migration is one of my favorite events in birding, and
I've been trying to spend as much time outside in the afternoons as I
could this week in hopes of catching some good movement. I have had
TUVU's around all week, but they were gorging themselves on salmon
along the Snohomish River and I only saw one or two long birds headed
south over many hours spent watching. Today I was stuck inside all day
doing chores and lamenting not being able to spend a few hours out on
the porch. Late in the afternoon, a distant bird caught my eye. When I
got my binoculars up I was astounded to see the largest group of
Turkey Vultures I've ever seen flying south over Lord Hill Park. I
counted at least 44, but I'm not even sure I caught the entire flock.
Earlier I had at least 5 feeding by the river, so my total for the day
was 49. Not quite the 300 that Phil had, but a new high count on eBird
for the county.

The other nice bird for the day was a White-Throated Sparrow
underneath my feeders feeding alongside a Golden-Crowned. I had
another White-Throated Sparrow on Thursday, but that was a bright
white-striped individual and this one was a tan-striped so apparently
a different bird. Golden-Crowned and White-Crowned sparrows have been
relatively scarce in my yard, but the wooded habitat better fits
White-Throated.

Geese came back with a vengeance. I had my first Cackling on 9/19 and
the flocks I've seen hanging around are roughly 500 birds. After a big
rush of Canada Geese last week, their numbers have thinned a bit. No
Snow yet, and I've searched in vain for a Greater White-Fronted.

Josh Adams
Cathcart, WA