Date: 10/1/17 8:42 pm
From: Henry Armknecht <armknecht...>
Subject: Douglas, Jefferson, Brown, Nemaha
On Thursday, I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking of a weekend of
birding. "You should definitely go. It's been quite a while since you went
for a weekend." She is a wise woman.

Best sightings were the KC crew at Baker on Saturday morning. A pleasant
group and expected interesting birds. Thank you to Mark Land and Malcolm
Gold for leading.

I had noticed that I had not birded Jefferson County yet this year, so spent
some time there on Saturday afternoon. I had a Peregrine Falcon fly across
the lake and along the dam. I also found two Blue-headed Vireos - a bird
that I don't see all that often.

For a while this morning, I birded Mission Lake and the Horton Area with Don
Merz who helped me get some target birds. I had my first two flocks of
Yellow-rumped Warblers this fall in Brown County. One at Mission Lake and
one at Pony Creek.

Since I need Franklin's Gull in both Brown and Nemaha Counties, it seemed
like a good time to try for them but struck out both places.

A nice surprise at Sabetha City Lake was 4 dark ibis, Pectoral and Lesser
Sandpipers, and both Yellowlegs. Apparently, it has been dry enough up that
way that the lake was low enough to present some mud flat area.

It was a bit breezy for ideal birding today, but it still felt great to get
out.

Debby was right!

Henry A

Hays