Date: 10/1/17 6:46 pm
Subject: Good look at Red Shouldered Hawks
On my monthly Bird Walk at Saluda Shoals Park in Columbia, SC yesterday, we saw a Red-shouldered Hawk fly tree to tree with a stick in beak. She stopped in the crotch of a tree right next to the road. Three of us watched as she placed the stick and the second Hawk arrived with another stick. It's a smallish spot for a nest but will give viewers good chance to watch baby-raising for the fourth year in a row.
Two years ago in December 2015 we watched two RSHawks building a nest that they then ignored until finishing it in February 2016. This seems early to be nesting but I admit I am no expert. What say those of you with more experience in raptor life?

Only migrant yesterday was a beautiful American Redstart - either female or immature male. Lots of Mockingbirds, Brown Thrashers, and two Gray Catbirds were hanging out in same area on a curve of the new road.

Patricia Voelker
Lexington, SC

Join us on Facebook!