Date: 10/1/17 3:58 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Oct 2017) 35 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 35 35 11457

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, David Brown, Hank Davis, Joe Sebastiani

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (25): Kathleen Pileggi, Carol Majors, Hank Davis, Ron Majors,
Jean-Marie Gauthier, Lorrie Sherron, Julie Engiles, David Brown, Ian
Stewart, Maria Zouras, Elias Zouras, Ellen Bacino, Andy Urquhart, Tom
Brokaw, Susan Huffington, Elaine Kirk, Colleen DelMonte, Carl Mease,
Barbara MacDonald, Dee Stevens, Robin Gibson, Joe Sebastiani (+1), Steve
Cottrell.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (0-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 48 - 69F, Winds North @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
3-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and
Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Howard Brokaw Memorial Walk”---

The Howard Brokaw Memorial Walk came first this morning with 24 people
along, including his son, property owner Tom Brokaw. In tribute to an
incredible life well-led and an enduring legacy in Bucktoe Creek Preserve,
we walked. Highlights were…. a Northern Parula, Black-throated Green
Warblers, American Redstarts, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Black-and-white
Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Magnolia Warblers, Palm Warblers,
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Blue Grosbeak, and 5 Blue-headed Vireo in one
tree! Overall, it was a birdy morning! While a Savannah Sparrow was at
Bucktoe Basin (bird bath), later joined by a Lincoln’s Sparrow, we still
are awaiting our first White-crowned Sparrows of the season there.

A Peregrine and Harrier were reported from nearby Longwood Gardens on Sept.
30 (DK).

Steve was out to do some work on the Purple Martin gourdes he donated to
the Preserve. Thanks again, Steve! Tom returned and together, we enjoyed
a distant Peregrine soaring on the cool breeze. It was my second Peregrine
of the day at The Watch. This evening as I write, a Barred Owl hooted to
our east, another echoed its response to our north over the Red Clay Creek
valley, bringing to a close another day at beautiful Bucktoe Creek
Preserve.

Our enduring gratitude goes out to Howard Brokaw and the conservation
legacy he inspired, and those that keep it alive and thriving to this day
and forever more.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Killdeer, 2-Barred Owl, 5-Blue-headed Vireo, , 3-Horned Lark,
2-Golden-crowned Kinglet, 20-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1-Swainson's Thrush,
1-Northern Parula, 1-Magnolia Warbler, 1-Black-throated Blue Warbler,
2-Yellow-rumped Warbler, 2-Black-throated Green Warbler, 4-Palm Warbler,
1-Black-and-white Warbler, 4-American Redstart, 1-Savannah Sparrow,
1-Lincoln's Sparrow, 1-Swamp Sparrow, 1-Scarlet Tanager, 2-Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, 1-Blue Grosbeak, 1-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (15): Monarch - 11, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem, Red Admiral,
Painted Lady. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (4): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
White-tailed Deer, Red Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.7; Steps: 15,722; Floors: 28.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 65; this season: 119
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (4):” Killdeer,
Golden-crowned Kinglet, Swainson’s Thrush, Horned Lark.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks mostly sunny with light winds from a northerly
direction. OK, if we can find them!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: