Date: 10/1/17 3:00 pm
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: Possible Vermilion Flycatcher
Did anyone else get to see this bird? I'm thinking, in my opinion, it
could be the best bird in Benton county for the year... and if only one
person saw it...  :(  Still an awesome find.
After seeing the report and emailing back and forth with Karen last
night, I kept telling myself there was a 99% chance I wouldn't find
it... told myself that more this morning and on the way there AND while
I was there.  My daughter and I spent 5 hours at the hatchery today with
no luck for the flycatcher.  Not a bad day birding with about 40 species
but somehow I still always feel so disappointed when I can't find a bird
I'm after.  Would be quite the lifer.
My oldest daughter got to add a life bird today though.  We had a flock
of at least 40 gulls fly over that, well we weren't prepared to examine
gulls so we weren't 100% on them.  One of those "wait, what did we just
see" moments.  We were leaning towards bonaparte's and I was going to
report them as such...  a few minutes later more birds came in(and left
as quickly.)  This time we looked at ID marks and they were Franklin's
gulls.  My daughter had never seen them and, here came 100 or more.
They circled and circled but didn't stick around.  Neither did the 22
American white pelicans that flew over.  At least 7 red-tailed hawks...
rose-breasted grosbeak, bald eagle, osprey.  Two swallows flew by that
didn't stick around long enough to be ID'd.  Quick look at the shape had
me leaning towards barn but didn't get the right feel for the color of them.
Not a bad day birding...  will have to just keep waiting to find the
next rare bird.  :)
Joyce(I think, forget the last name... So bad with names) was the only
other birder I saw there during the whole 5 hours I was there.  I
imagine people came earlier or later but, I was still surprised not to
see anyone chasing that bird in this nice weather.  No decent drained
ponds for shorebirds in Centerton today but again, still a decent day.  :)
Daniel Mason