Date: 10/1/17 3:04 pm
From: Don Simons <Don.Simons...>
Subject: Sept Hawk report

Hawk watching from Cameron Bluff on Overlook Drive here in Mount Magazine State Park produced some impressive numbers this September. During 11 days we conservatively tallied 3,488 hawks, vultures, falcons, eagles, and ospreys, 3,117 of which were broad-winged hawks. Our best single day was September 28th with 1,998 overall, 1,788 of which were broad-winged hawks. I incorrectly reported twice that many due to a 2 a.m. math error. Our best periods started at 4 p.m. with huge kettles forming west of the mountain. To see daily reports, go to www.hawkcount.org<http://www.hawkcount.org>.

Thanks to all of you who helped with the counting and conversation.

Don R. Simons, Park Interpreter
Certified Heritage Interpreter
Mount Magazine State Park
16878 HWY 309 South